Easy Zucchini Lasagna
Looking for a new spin on an old favorite? Look no further! Using sliced zucchini instead of traditional lasagna noodles makes this dish not only visually appealing but nutritionally pleasing as well! Get your taste buds ready, this one is going to blow your mind!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 (15 oz) cans of tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1 egg
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- Cook ground beef in a large skillet, breaking it up as it cooks. Drain and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the olive oil and diced onions. Cook on medium/high heat for about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the beef back into the skillet, add in both cans of tomato sauce, followed by the basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Bring to a low boil and reduce the heat to low. Let the sauce simmer for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 375 while the sauce cooks, and prepare the zucchini ribbons.
- For the zucchini, you’ll want to use a mandolin. Slice all three zucchini length-wise into very thin ribbons (about 1/8th of an inch…I just used the thinnest setting on my mandolin). You can also use a hand-held vegetable peeler, it will just take a little more time.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ricotta, parmesan and egg. Taste and add salt as needed.
- Once the 25 minutes is up on the meat sauce, start layering! In a casserole dish, spread about 1/2 cup of meat sauce across the bottom, then layer enough zucchini ribbons over top to cover. Take a big dollop of the ricotta mixture and spread it over the zucchini. Take a handful of the shredded mozzarella (about 1/3 – 1/2 cup worth) and sprinkle it over the ricotta. Repeat – starting with the meat sauce, followed by the zucchini ribbons, followed by the ricotta mixture, finished with the mozzarella – until you’ve used up all of the ingredients!
- Cover and place in the oven, for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake for another 20 minutes.
2017 03 15